Tuesday, February 3, 2009

We're not Enemies, We just Disagree

There is something terribly wrong in this country. This is nothing new and it probably will not disappear in our lifetime.

I believe we are in a era where racism, sexism, ageism, ect. is finally starting to be seen for what it is. Biggotry, hatefull, and irrelevant.

It seems like each generation is growing more tolerant and understanding of people who are different from themselves.

A country that was founded by slave owners just elected an African American man to it's highest office. And in his inauguration speech he metioned non-believers. No President, maybe even no other elected official has ever mentioned this group.

This is a huge feat. In my opinion. And I hope in my lifetime we see biggotry in all forms die off. We will always have problems, but we should never let the skin color, age, sex, or religous beliefs of others be a problem for us.

But on the other hand, there is one obsticle we may never scale. Partisan Politics.

When I was a kid, I couldn't tell you what a Republican or Democrat was. My family has never been highly political. I didn't take an interest in politics untill around the age of 18. Before then I just rooted for the guy who seemed more reasonable, better for the job. And to be honest, I wish i could go back to those days.

Now don't get me wrong. I am a proud Liberal and believe in what the party stands for. I'm sure the same applies to my conservative counterparts. And there is nothing wrong with this. Millions of brave men and women have risked and given thier lives so that we can have the freedom to disagree and speak our minds. This is America.

But sometimes it doesn't always have that agree to disagree feeling. Sometimes it feels like full on war. Sometimes it feels more like a heated sport than it does politics. We root root root for the home team.

We are all guilty of this. We vote for a party, not the person.

Now, with that said, I believe we do have our simularites.

We all love this country. If we didn't we wouldn't have the passion that drives us to debate and do somethiing about what we believe in.

I feel we all want the same things.

Both parties want this country to be the best it can be.
No one enjoys seeing people suffer in the terrorism that is poverty.
We all want to be able to go to the doctor when we or a loved one gets sick.
No one wants to see someone go into a hellish debt just because they became ill or got hurt.
No one wants war....i think.

We all want the same things, we just differ on how to go about getting there.

We get so caught up in the game of politics that it makes it so hard for things to get done in Washington.

Neither party will forfeit or surrender. And they Shouldn't. But wouldn't it be nice if grown men and women could find a happy medium. If for no one else, for US!

When Bush was President, us democrats railed against him and we grid our teeth. Now that Obama is President, the Republicans are doing the same thing. Both men tried to give and compromise to the other party. Both men were told to go fuck themselves.

We need to get one thing clear here. I may be a Democrat and you may be a Republican, a Libertarian, Green Party, Independent, ect.

But when all is said and done, We are all Americans! We are all in this together! United we Stand, Divided We Fall!

If a President fails, We all Fail!

It's ok to have faith in a political party. But don't become the party. Be a Human Being!

There are poor Republicans and rich Democrats
There are Pro-Choice Republicans and Pro-Life Democrats.
There are Anti-War Republicans and Pro-War Democrats.
Sometimes Republicans are wrong, Sometimes Democrats are wrong.

But underneath that we all want a great country and an easier life for the short time we have on this earth.

And life is too short to risk the glorious American dream for petty argueing and partisan politics.

We need to stop thinking of ourselves as a person, and know that we are people.
We need to stop thinking of ourselves as a city, and know we are a state.
We need to stop thinking of ourselves as a state, and know we are a country.
We need to stop thinking of ourselves as a country, and know that we are the world.

Does this mean I won't write anymore partisan blogs.....I wouldn't hold your breath.

I didn't write this blog from the aspect that this is how i am and you should be it too. I wrote it in hopes of what I would like to be. It's very hard......but I'm trying.

And to my Republican friends, I have nothing but respect for you. We may not always agree. But we all have the same goal in mind...A Better Tomorrow for every human being.

Rob


Whenever you see a cop beating a guy
Whenever a hungry newborn baby cries
Whenever there's a fight against the flood of hatred in the air
Look for me ma' I'll be there
Wherever somebody's struggling for a place to stand
For a decent job or a helping hand
Whenever somebody's struggling to be free
Look in their eyes ma' You'll see me.

Bruce Springsteen
"The Ghost of Tom Joad"

1 comment:

  1. Some good points, and I agree that we should all be adults about these things, but one should not be so quick to point the Finger Of Derision at anyone simply because they see things in a different way.

    That's called "Diversity". It's part of what makes this country great, and part of what makes us human.

    A difference of opinion is easily described in the adage about the glass being "half" one way or the other. The thing that I would like to point out here is that both points of view are RIGHT! you might see one as pessimistic or vice versa, but the other may see it differently.

    I used to think that "Agree to Disagree" was a kind of intellectual "cop-out", however lately I believe that it should be an integral part of our society.

    Just remember, politics is the one and perhaps ONLY place where that tenet can't be allowed to stand. Otherwise, nothing would ever get done, and no political compromises would be accomplished.

    Great job! (Spell check works wonders :P)

    ReplyDelete